The dresser is slowly progressing. I decided to paint the white enamel before the dark stain as I did not think the masking tape would prevent the enamel from bleeding under it, also I thought a paint ridge would form along the edge of the tape. However, neither of these happened and I think I should have stained the wood first. Anyway, it is too late now to change the process but that is fine as this is my first real furniture refurbishment project.
At this stage I am feeling confident enough to eventually tackle the large side board. It is in better shape than the dresser but it still could use some love.